Hugo

Opinions about movies, reviews.
eas123
Extra

Hugo

Post by eas123 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Set in 1930’s France, Hugo Cabret (Asa Butterfield) was living with his father a master clock maker, when his dad was given an automaton, as a project to do together, which was thought that it could write. Hugo’s father dies in a fire at the museum, he was working at. Hugo’s Uncle Claude comes and takes him away to live in the walls of a train station, where they both take care of the clocks, up until he leaves (later confirmed dead). Hugo still has the automaton; he is now desperate to fix it, because he feels there is a secret message from his dad. To get the parts he steals from Georges Méliès (Ben Kingsley) toy store owner, until he was finally caught. While Stalking George (For his note book), he meets his daughter, Isabelle (Chloë Grace Moretz), who holds the final key to getting the automaton running.
James Cameron has called this film a “masterpiece”, and I could see why he would call it that. Visual it is a stunning film, in fact in won an Oscar for “Best Special Effects” (Along with 4 other wins, and the most nominations that night with 11). The scene where the Train goes off rail (Dream sequence), and Hugo hanging on from one of the hands on the clock tower looked amazing, making them one of the most rememberable scenes from the film.
The acting was a different story, I really wasn’t excepting much from the kid performers (once in a blue does a kid performer actually surprise me like Anna Paquin in “The Piano”), but for this film to work the adults acting had to be perfect, and Ben Kingsley and Sacha Baron Cohan did give solid performances but I felt like they needed to give better, but they just left us with “OK” performances at times. Both their characters to a certain measures had a very important part, but both their characters where in some was where very forgettable.
The storyline was a huge problem for me, I was expecting some huge adventure about self discovery, and that’s what it was trying to be, but I felt like we never really got it. In fact it didn’t really pick up until the 3rd and finale act. I felt at times this film was so slow, and boring that I would fall asleep.
If I were to give this film a rating, I would give it 6/10. It might just be me, because from what I’ve seen most people do like it, but the only thing that liked about this film was the special effects.