Settings for different database

Need a new feature in Movienizer? Post your suggestions here.
Bryan
Supporting actor

Settings for different database

Post by Bryan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:08 pm

I've been collecting DVDs for a good number of years.....and have about 2,700. But I've recently started to collect movies on blu-ray discs, so have created another database. And it's here the problem lies, both databases share the same settings. I have the settings (space between sleeves) just right, but it leaves a lot of space between the sleeves in the blu-ray database (sleeves aren't so 'tall'). If I correct it for the blu-ray sleeves, then when I revert back to the DVD database, the sleeves are almost falling over themselves, almost touching. Would it be possible for each database to have it's own settings. Perhaps saved in the database folder? I'm sure other users have this problem?

And perhaps, a way to put short-cuts to the different databases, on the program's taskbar, to access them quicker

Vlad
Developer

Re: Settings for different database

Post by Vlad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:04 pm

Well, it is possible to create two folders with Movienizer and run the portable version (portable.bat) for each database (one copy for the first database and the other one for the second). We will think about saving some settings into the database, though.
ImageImage

richardvz
Passerby

Post by richardvz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:51 am

I use three databases. Each database is accessed by choosing "file" and selecting "recent databases". All the databases are in the same folder so as to access the covers and pics from the movies in the databases. I hope this helps as well. The settings stay the same for all the dbs. However you can open multiple dbs by having more windows open with Movienizer

Bryan
Supporting actor

Post by Bryan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:34 am

I know about opening different databases..that's not really the problem. The problem is in the setting. If all sleeves were the same size, than the problem would not exist. But DVD & Blu-Ray sleeves are not the same size, so expecting the settings to 'Fit All' , is just not viable. Hence my request to save settings for each database in more than one location. At the moment, they're saved in the program...which, would normally be OK. But not when you have different sleeve sizes.
I've now found, when I open the Blu-Ray database, I'm unable to add anything extra to the MPAA tag. That is to say, it has the default collection, but nothing can be added. However, if I open the DVD database. I've managed to add a number of extra 'ratings' into the MPAA list. They don't however show up, when opening the Blu-Ray database. This has me confused, because all the settings are the same for both database. So, where is this list located, and why isn't the same list present in both databases's, as apart from the database's, the settings are the same, unfortunately.?

Vlad
Developer

Post by Vlad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:58 am

The MPAA list is stored in the database, so may be different for different databases. It contains 'values', not 'settings', which is why it is in the database.

One can think of an option to add to the interface. Technically, it is possible to check the format value for each movie and apply different cover sizes. However, this may look ugly :)
ImageImage

Bryan
Supporting actor

Post by Bryan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:18 pm

I agree with you that a database, that contains both DVD & Blu-Ray sleeves will look ugly. I know I've tried it. Hence my two different databases, one for DVD, the other for Blu-Ray discs. But, and here is where the problem is..My DVD database (2.800 sleeves) is just right, space perfect..room for titles...everything great. But, when I open the Blu-Ray database...it looks like a lot of wasted space...changing the settings to correct this...also changes the perfect settings for the DVD database (of course). It's not necessary to read the value of each sleeve...just allow different settings for each database. The settings can be stored in the each database, or database folder

I did think about installing Movienizer twice...different locations..different database..different settings, but not sure that would work, as scripts are kept in the 'App Data' folder